Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"Kashmir"

In order to continue my "swirl" quilting practice, I had to come up with a quick design that would incorporate a solid white background, plus still contain elements contingent with an appropriate angel doll swap quilt. What to do? I was just about "flowered" out until I thought of trees with flowers.....and birds......of course birds......who doesn't like birds?? But flowers, again, I thought? Until I spotted a new fabric I recently bought called, "Kashmir" laying on my dining room table. It's part of the new Marylebone collection by Rowan. (If you have a chance to see the whole line, please do.........it's gorgeous!!) Anyway, I grabbed the drawing paper and fabric and went to town. After I ironed a big hunk of steam a seam on it, I started cutting:

And after I fused the tree to the background, I fused the flowers on too.

Naturally, I had to add a few leaves and stems to the flowers on the ground so once I did that, it was time for quilting. (My new favorite thing!!) And.....in case you're wondering, I use 505 spray adhesive to keep all the layers together evenly, not pins.
Once I was done quilting, I squared it off and decided to bind it with the same fabric that I used to cut out the flowers. I thought it would tie the whole thing together.

"The Happy Tree" - DQS9

My quilting is getting pretty good, huh? Maybe it's time to move on to another pattern!

Detail of Swirl Quilting

15 comments:

What Comes Next? said...

Yup! all this practice is definitely working - your quilting looks fabulous, as does this little mini - love seeing what you constantly come up with! Now, what will be the next quilting pattern you practice? Do I see any feathers in (y)our future???

Anja said...

As always, I´m totally in love with your new quilt!

Soooo beautiful!
Would you mind if someone (me...) tried to make a similar quilt? I would love to do a tree with flowers (and an owl!)

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Oh wow! It looks absolutely fantastic. What a great idea. Your quilting looks great too.

Timi said...

This quilt is just beautiful!!! And creative too :o)!!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Oh my goodness me - another fabulous one.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabulous! Both the quilt design and the quilting!

Ursula said...

That's gorgeous! I love it! Thanks for the photos and step by step details. I think it's time I give it a go. Your quilts are very inspiring.

Karen said...

I LOVE this delicate tree with the pretty flowers! The bird with the swirly tail is the icing on the cake!

Rettabug said...

I truly think you've mastered the swirls, Carol!! This is such a pretty quilt. Love the colorful binding you did on it. That whole fabric line is gorgeous!

Soooo, what's next????? ;-p

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kendra said...

LOVE this one! You are so creative...I love seeing what you've been working on :).

paisley and lace said...

So lovely!

JariJari said...

i like it so much...great work!

Kim Carroll said...

Its amazing how when I first seen the beginnings, I thought, thats a strange looking quilt, then once all the pieces were on, it just blew me away! It came out soooo freakin cool, and your quilting is beyond amazing! I am for sure Spartacus!

Chris said...

Wow! Carol I love this little tree quilt! You are getting so good at the swirl technique. I've got to give it a try someday.